Fairfax United Methodist Church
305 Broadway Street
Fairfax, MO 64446
(660)686-3314

Justice is getting what you deserve. Mercy is not getting what you deserve. Grace is getting what you don’t deserve. -Dr. James Dobson

 

 

Historical Journey of our Community of Faith

In early Methodism Fairfax was on a circuit with Craig. The circuit preacher either rode a horse or walked and held church services in groves. log cabins, or homes. In 1882 when Fairfax was a very small town with a population of 230, it was decided that a church building was needed. The Fairfax Circuit included Fairfax, Rupes Grove, Rock Port and perhaps other points. Pleasant Valley was added to this circuit in 1905. As early as 1906 a new church was discussed. Fifty people were at prayer meetings and people were being turned away from church services. After much consideration a building committee was appointed and an architect was employed. Some people objected to the size of the proposed church; they thought it was too large. One member is recorded as saying "We are not building for the present, we are building for the future." That was a true statement. Today the building adequately seats up to 275 and is still beautiful in design with irreplaceable stained glass windows. The exterior was refurbished, tuck-pointed, and the trim repainted in the 1990's.

The present church building was dedicated November 15, 1916 at a cost of $20,000. Though the weather was cloudy, cold and rainy, 500 people were served by the women at noon and 300 that night. The women of the church known as the W.S.C.S. (now known as the UMW) bought the lot the church stands on and had many money raising projects to help pay off the church debt. Even though the Fairfax congregation was Methodist Episcopal South, the cornerstone on the building reads Methodist Church 1916. This seemed to be a prophecy since in 1939 three great bodies of Methodism merged to form the Methodist Church. On April 23, 1968 the Methodist Church once again merged with the Evangelical United Brethren, becoming what is now known worldwide as the United Methodist denomination.

On June 9, 1960 the Rupe's Grove Church, which was located in the country, west of Fairfax, officially closed its doors and merged with the Fairfax Methodist Church.

The church observed its 50th anniversary on November 20, 1966. Rev. Champ Breeden was the pastor at that time. Bishop Frank of the state of Missouri was the guest speaker. We have been a one church charge since 1990 while Rev. James Fulbright was the minister. Prior to that time the Fairfax church shared their minister with Sharp's Grove country church near Craig, Missouri. Later on, the minister was also shared with the Burr Oak country church, near Skidmore, Missouri. On September 1, 1990 the Fulbright family moved into the new parsonage at 401 South 1st Street in Fairfax. The present parsonage was purchased by the Trustees from David and Patty Kemerling for $70,000. An additional $13,288 was spent to finish the construction of the house.

In the Fall of 2005 an elevator was adjoined to the northwest corner of the church building. It is a very nice addition to the building and is very helpful to our congregation. It was completed at a cost of approximately $80,000.

The Rev. Mike Eighmy is now serving the Fairfax charge as of the writing of this article.


© 2010 Fairfax United Methodist Church
The Cross and Flame is a registered trademark and the use is supervised by the General Council on Finance and Administration of The United Methodist Church.
Permission to use the Cross and Flame must be obtained from the General Council on Finance and Administration of The United Methodist Church - Legal Department.